We would like to thank our suppliers for the below sourced information and supply of official logos.
Most of our organic skin care products have specific logos and certifications attached to their products. We are going to list below the official logos that you look for on a product and what they mean to you when considering purchasing.
A certified organic product – In Australia there are only a select few Australian certification body’s which have high standards that show you that the products you are buying are certified organic.
Australian Certified Organic is the gold standard for real high-level cosmetics certification. – Pure and Green, Serenade, Y-natural, Lily loves Pearl and Savi all have ACO organic certification.
Australian Certified Organic cosmetics and skincare products contain more than 95% certified organic ingredients. The remaining small percentage (maximum 5%) of non-organic ingredients must be naturally produced plant products and/or natural, non toxic preservatives/additives.
Mokosh recently received organic certification from NASAA. All their products, except the bath bombs, are approved at between 95-100% certified organic ingredients.
For a final product to be labelled ‘certified organic’, 100% of the agricultural product ingredient must be certified, with the onus on the Processor to ensure that there is a clear, audit able paper trail to verify claims. Under existing Standards, there is an allowance for the use of non-agricultural processing aids and additives (excluding salt and water), provided it accounts for not more than 5% of final product.
Synthesis 345 employs state-of-the-art technology in their certified organic facilities ensuring the end product is effective, results orientated, safe, elegant, consumer friendly and stable. All batches are manufactured according to Australian Organic Standards (O.F.C.). Eco tan, Elly B, La mav also have certification with the O.F.C.
Choose Cruelty free. This means that neither the products nor the ingredients have been tested on animals. All of our product brands claim to be cruelty free.
Vegan registered - Using animal parts for products or packaging is cruel, unhealthy and unnecessary.
About Palm Oil- Without knowing it, most Australians use products every day that contain palm oil –food, toiletries and detergents, and are thereby bringing about the destruction of fragile ecosystems in subtropical Malaysia, Indonesia, Africa and South America.
There is nothing inherently wrong with palm oil itself.The problem lies in the fact that large tracts of native forests are being cleared and burned in order to grow palm monocultures to satisfy the enormous worldwide demand for the oil. In addition to the serious contribution to greenhouse gases and loss of biodiversity due to land clearing, the plantations are often heavily treated with pesticides, further affecting fragile ecosystems. Of particular concern is the widespread destruction of native forest in Sumatra where the Sumatran orangutan is predicted to be extinct in the wild within the next 10 years.
Also at risk are the Sumatran tiger, the Asian elephant and Asian rhinoceros, in addition to numerous lesser known plant and animal species.
So, what products contain all this palm oil we are consuming? Palm oil is used in many baked goods, snacks, chocolate, margarine, soap, shampoo, and lipstick, in domestic and industrial detergents, and it is being considered as a biofuel. In soaps it is often labelled ‘sodium palmate’ or ‘sodium palm kernelate’, indicating palm or palm kernel oil.
It is important to remember that any ingredient labelled ‘vegetable oil’ may in fact be palm oil, as current labelling legislation does not require the type of vegetable oil to be specified. Likewise, many detergents and shampoo ingredients derived from palm oil may be labelled simply ‘of vegetable/plant origin’. Nearly all bar soaps contain palm oil as it is a cheap way to get hard, long lasting bars. click here to http://www.orangutans.com.au
Fair Trade- A number of popular ingredients in skin care products are grown in developing countries – cocoa butter, shea butter, coconut oil and coffee are amongst the most common – employing some of the poorest communities in the world. In many cases workers are paid so little for their labour they are barely able to feed their families, let alone afford to educate them, or provide basic amenities such as clean water and sanitation.
Purchasing goods that have been fairly traded means that workers are paid a fair price for their goods and labour. The ramifications of this are enormous – it means equality for women and girls, education rather than slavery for children, better living conditions for all through provision of clean water and sanitation, access to healthcare, and communities working together to improve infrastructure such as roads, electricity and water.